Re: [ga] [Fwd: Re: I need your help]

At 17:42 25.06.2000 -0500, Weisberg wrote:
>Here is my exchange with Rob Richie of the Center for Voting and
>Democracy regarding IRV and whether it is a fully developed system
>which may be adopted by reference (thus avoiding any need to develop
>a complete new ruleset if we wanted to use it).

I don't think you understand - it is impossible to vote on including
something by reference without a *specific reference*.
My only online Robert's rules
(http://www.constitution.org/rror/rror--00.htm, 1915 edition) does not
contain the term "preferential" in the chapter on voting, so we obviously
can't use that.

References into other bodies' rulesets tend to be dangerous, because they
contain further references; for instance, one may refer to a ruleset that
requires party representatives to be present at the counting of ballots -
we don't have parties in the GA, and don't go in very much for physical
presence - how would we use that rule by reference?
Without a specific proposal, we can't even *start* intelligent debate, far
less vote on it.

Anyway, the chair has called for a vote on the current proposal. Let's get
that out of the way now.

                      Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no