From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:Harald@Alvestrand.no]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 8:11 AM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

Based on the discussion of version 0.4, here's what I propose as final text.
VOTING RULES FOR THE DNSO GA
Version 0.5

These are the rules for voting in the General assembly.

- A vote begins when the Chair approves a ballot.
A ballot consists of one or more questions, each of which has two or more
mutually exclusive answers.
The ballot is sent to the registered GA voters by the secretariat.
- The typical amount of time given to reply to a vote is one week.
- Each voter can cast one vote for one alternative per question.
- The alternative selected by more than 50% of the cast votes wins.
- In the case where the question is a new rule or rule change for the GA,
the number of votes in favour of the winning alternative must be at least
2/3 of cast votes, with a minimum number of cast votes being the lower of
20% of the registered voters or 100 votes.
- If no alternative gets the required number of votes, the Chair may reissue
the ballot with a smaller set of alternatives (a runoff), or declare that
there is no consensus in the GA on the question.
-  The voters are those who are registered as voters when a vote is first
sent out.

NOTE: This set of rules does not cover ballots with multiple winners,
such as election of a set of representatives. Rules for these situations
may be introduced in a later amendment.

The voting roster and a method to register for voting are available in
http://www.dnso.org/secretariat/rosterindex.html

I'd like to have this set of rules voted on now.
If someone wants to introduce instant runoff, so that we can remove the 50%
requirement, I hope we can discuss that as a separate issue - AFTER getting
a rule that works for the simplest cases.

OK?

               Harald
Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no