Re: [Fwd: [ga-full] RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4]

At 02:34 21/06/00 +0200, you wrote:
>This is my concern.
>
>If we start now a discussion (again?) on what is the *very best* (tm)
>method for voting on multiple choices, we are likely to achieve exactly
>what Prof. Froomkin fears, i.e. something that is interminable.
>
>What we need is a simple bootstrap to get going.
>Once bootstrapped, we can make the system stepwise more "accurate" (but
>also probably more "complicated").

Been there, done that.  Therefore I agree with Roberto's sentiment.

Having been vilified the first time for my offer of  the Polling Booth with
it's different voting options, I'm hesitant to offer it again. But it's
there and Harald and Roberto can have an administrator account if  they
feel it can be of use to the GA.

>Also, for the time being we don't have to deal with elections, where we
>will necessarily have to deal with multiple candidates, but with
>"proposals" or "statements", where with some good work in the prior
>discussion on the list we may be able to reduce the question to the
>electorate to a "Yes/No".

I constructed the Polling Booth specifically for this kind of group
decision-making.
The Booth will allow YES/NO votes, a pick-list with multiple tick options
(perfect for approval voting, Harald) , a pick-list with a single vote
option, sliding scale opinion polling,  voting results visible in real
-time or not,  and an archive of all the votes taken.
It also has the option of allowing (anonymous) comment on the topic that's
up for a vote.

Striving for perfection at this stage is self-defeating.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
the Cyberspace Association and
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org