RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4

At 07:35 20.06.2000 -0400, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
>A few comments:
>
>1. It seems like one week may be a little short for the amount of time to
>vote.  If someone is away from email for a week, they miss the vote.  A
>couple weeks would seem more reasonable especially in an international
>setting.  It doesn't seem necessary to rush this.  Also, two weeks would
>allow more time to deal with email glitches that might delay mail delivery.

It's a compromise - a month would give assurance that everyone got at least
3 chances to vote, but makes the GA unresponsive to demands for a timely
opinion; a (working) day might be better in order to get business
transacted quickly - some have argued for the "vote early, vote often"
school of discussion, where almost every decision, including the decision
to have a decision, would be put to the vote.

>2. Reasonable advance notice of upcoming votes should be given; a minimum of
>two weeks advance notice would probably work.  Advance notice could simply
>involve an estimated time when a vote is anticipated because the exact date
>when the ballot will be approved may not be known far enough ahead of time.
>For example, a notice could say something like this: "A vote regarding GA
>opinion regarding Names Council proposal A is anticipated in two to three
>weeks from the date of this message."

Yes - the current vote was announced in February to be held in late April.
Quite a bit of advance notice there :-(
But the length of "reasonable warning" may vary from topic to topic - does
this have to be in the rules?

>3. Because the DNSO is supposed to be a consensus-building organization, I
>would consider modifying the third rule as follows: "In the case of a choice
>between multiple alternatives, the alternative with the most votes over 50%
>of those cast wins.  If no choice receives more than 50%, there is no
>winner."

I don't have a strong opinion here. In the case of a 3-way vote with a
49/25/24% outcome, it seems like extra bureaucracy, but in the case of a
34/33/33% outcome, it may be the Right Thing to do.
Others?

>4. I think rule 4 should be worded like this: "In the case of selecting N
>candidates from a slate of M, with M > N, the N top candidates win."  In
>other words, when selecting 4 candidates from a slate of 10, the top 4 win.
>An important question to answer in this type of situation is this: "How many
>votes does each member get and can they use all their votes for one
>candidate?"

After the latest discussion, I suggest rule 4 to be worded:
"This rule set deals only with single-winner votes."
Then we add rules for multiple-winner votes after finishing discussions on
them.

Thanks for your comments!

                 Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no