Re: [Fwd: [ga-full] RE: [ga] Voting rules, take 4]

At 18:46 20.06.2000 +0200, Mark Measday wrote:
>Agree (if it comes to a vote about voting)
>
>Michael Froomkin wrote:
> >
> > I think STV should be available for votes with multiple alternatives.
> > Otherwise the system is (a) manipulable; (b) interminable.

It's been formally proven that all voting systems may have outcomes that
are in conflict with the desires of the voters. (I could probably find
the issue of Scientific American where this was the subject of the
recreational mathematics column, if someone really cares...)

My personal favourite for multiple choice, single winner is Approval
Voting, because it tends to pick an alternative most of the people can live
with, and has less temptation towards "tactical voting" than most of the
other alternatives; for multiple choice, multiple winner I don't have a
favourite.

But I'd like to keep this ruleset short, and have the vote this week.
Can we make language changes that let us do a Right Thing now and a Better
Thing later?

                         Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no