[ga] List Rule(s) Proposal

At 12:55 PM 6/6/00 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

>>Perhaps there is some way of revising and appending that set of rules to
>>(i) revitalise the list with a view to attracting and educating the
>>ICANN at-large member constituency  and (ii) provide a useful examplar
>>to other ICANN-related critical functions, unless the open discussion
>>model is now irretrievably compromised by commercial interest.
>
>Propose text. I happen to think that the current text works.
>
>NOTE: The chairs intend to hold a vote on the list rules as soon as we
>have a set of voting rules that we can conduct the vote according to. At
>that time, alternate proposals are in order.

I propose the following tried and tested text be adopted in general in DNSO
mailing lists:

<start list rules>
Each mailing list will have exactly three people whose role is to maintain
civility, order and generally keep the discussion on topic. For any action
to be taken, all three must agree. These "guardians" act like moderators,
but the lists are distinctly not moderated in the usual and formal sense of
the word as it applied to mailing lists. The term moderator will be used
here but please understand what is trying to be achieved is somewhere
between the rigid constraints of a moderated mailing list and an complete
anarchy that sometimes happens with unmoderated mailing lists.

1. The mailing list will be a place where all discourse is civil and
polite. No personal attacks or slander, no negative sarcastic or facetious
remarks. No name-calling. We're not a completely humorless bunch here, but
simple etiquette is expected. Emily Post defines etiquette this way: "If
what you say or do makes somebody uncomfortable, that is a breach of
etiquette".

2. The final arbiter of the definition of "civil and polite" will be the
list moderators. The list moderators are [guardian 1 <email@dnso.org>],
[guardian 3 <email@dnso.org>] and [guardian 3 <email@dnso.org>].

3. Complaints may be sent to any of the addresses above, either by the
person offended or by any other member of the list. They should not be sent
to the list as well.

4. Upon receipt of such a complaint, the offender will be invited to submit
to the group, and to the person offended, an on-line apology which has been
accepted by the latter.

5. Beginning with the third warning, the moderators shall have the
authority to remove the offenders ability to post to the mailing list.

6. The mailing list will be otherwise open and unfiltered by the mail
distribution server.

7. All discussion about the moderator's performance is explicitly
permitted, but must take place in messages that deal ONLY with the
moderator's performance, and not with any of the other topics of discussion
on the mailing list.
</end list rules>

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs