Re[2]: [ga] Re: [ga-full] Individuals

Hello Joop,

Monday, May 29, 2000, 11:32:46 PM, you wrote:

JT> Roberto, what is a sufficient number in your view?
JT> The fight against the IDNO constituency has been characterized by
JT> unreasonable hostility  to the idea.

No, the fight against the IDNO's attempt to enshrine itself as the
constituency for domain name owners is characterized by a dislike for
an organization that was intended to be nothing more than pulpit for
one person, that was never, and definitely is not now, representative
of domain name owners, nor does it have any of the characteristics
one would expect of a constituency.

JT> Many individuals are giving up the fight because they no longer believe
JT> that they will get a fair voice in DNS policy through ICANN's DNSO.
JT> If they knew that ICANN was going to stop opposing the idea of their
JT> representation, the current number of 179 idno members would quickly swell
JT> to include the thousands of DN owners that have already signed up for the
JT> ICANN at-large membership.

Don't count on it.  The IDNO is greatly flawed, and those flaws are
very transparent.  The IDNO's membership would not swell.

However, I think a true domain name owners constituency would have
such a chance.   However, a constituency is not made by forming an
association and then trying to get that organization dubbed the
official constituency.  A constituency is formed by creating a viable
charter, seeking public comment and input, and then presenting it for
approval by the only group who can create a new constituency, the
ICANN board.

The whole thing about creating an organization and then trying to get
that organization recognized, was a flawed concept from the beginning.
It vested way too much power in one person's hands, the person who
held the keys to that "organization."

What is needed is a fair structure, plenty of public input and comment
on the structure (which is a simple thing to do, base it on the
existing constituency structures), and then present it for approval to
the ICANN board.  This eliminates the problems of personality, which
also plagued the effort known as the IDNO (Joop was a liability
there).  It also eliminates the problems of the "organization" type
setup, which also was a liability and held back the effort.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com