Re: [ga] Yokohama Remote Participation -- Feedback Requested

>[Vany]
>Of course this might continue.  In fact is very usefull for non-english
>native speaking people that attends phisically the meeting and sometimes loose
>one word or two.
>
>And in this issue I want to recomend something else that can be very helpfull
>in reading this minutes and can increase the remote participation all over the
>world.
>
>I want to propose real-time-scribres that translates to other langauages all
>the minutes taken, also in real-time.  Of course, I understand that this maybe
>requires additonal equipment like another screen to be seen in the other
>languages, for example.
>
>Also I understand that such staff can raise more expenses to ICANN because
>such staff for sure will not be able to pay themselves their
>expenses (like air
>ticket and hosting, for example).
>
>But,  instead of such staff travelling, they can translate what they
>see in the webcast and open different channels for the translations in several
>languages and all it can be done from computers all over the world without
>attending physically ICANN meetings!!!

Bingo!

Multiple IRC channels with remote translators watching the main
scribe's English channel and rela-time translating into a different
channel for each language.

Good thinking Vany!

>Of course, I advice that such staff be hired and paid for their time:  But
>whatever ICANN pays for such service always would be much more cheaper than
>paying air tickets and hotel expenses for people that do such translations on
>site of the meetings!!!

Using the Internet wisely. Could this be a first for ICANN.

--
Andrew P. Gardner

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.