Re: [ga] court curbs icann

The NLJ article is online: go to <http://www1.law.com/illinois/> and
scroll down for a link.

    In a ruling on May 3, U.S. District Judge
    Marvin E. Aspen determined that the court
    is not bound by proceedings of an ICANN
    panel. But he indicated uncertainty about
    just how much deference the
    administrative procedures should be given.
    He stayed the federal trademark case
    pending the outcome of the ICANN
    decision and said that "at this time we
    declined to determine the precise standard
    by which we would refuse the panel's
    decision and what degree of deference (if
    any) we would give that decision. Neither
    the ICANN Policy nor its governing rules
    dictate to the court what weight should be
    given to a panel's decision."

Subesequent to the court ruling, the defendant won the UDRP case, see
<http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/d2000-0187.html>.