Re: [ga] FW: An interesting dissent to sunrise provisions

At 12:36 14.04.2000 -0600, Michael wrote:
>    But to return to the water law paradigm, doesn't it make sense to
> incorporate a
>procedure in which someone holding domain space for 3 (or 5 or 7) years
>without
>going on line or putting the domain space to work will have to forfeit their
>rights?
this was discussed during the WIPO Experts' meeting too (and, I'm sure, at
millions of other discussions).

The problem with requiring "use" is that the investment for setting up
something that looks like usage of the name is almost nil - the absolutely
cheapest is aliasing "www.<yourname>.com" to someone else's website, but
"domain parking" facilities are widely available too.

I sympathize - the Norwegian rules have a rule saying that a domain where
no listed nameserver is reachable and configured for the domain is recycled
after 3 months - but if the owner has just a slight interest in keeping it,
it is almost impossible (IMHO) to make a forfeit clause stick.

Apart from that, I liked the model!

                Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no