Re: [ga] Older Registrations

At 11:20 PM 4/3/00 +0800, you wrote:
>At 03:32 AM 4/2/00 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>>When I first joined this process, I have been told (and I somewhat
>>believed) that IANA had the authority to make changes to the A-root.
>
>2.  IANA had been responsible for adoption of the original gTLDs, and that
>included a community review process, as it was doing this time, albeit
>more formally this time,

I didn't know there were two sets of rules. One for those who followed the
RFC's under IANA's guidance, and another for the Blue Ribbon folk under the
IAHC who didn't. Of course, if you can document the applications to IANA,
per RFC1591, for the 7 IAHC/CORE TLDs I'll cut you some slack, but, as many
folks are already aware, they don't exist.

>7.  Constant discussions were held with the US Government folks tasked to
>attend to this topic.
>
>It simply did not seem possible that the US White House would choose to
>destabilize a process that had been running well for 10 years.  However,
>that is what happened.

Not true. The USG did not destabilize the process. Per NSF requirements
(previously documented), there is zero validity in the IAHC's gTLD-MoU
process. USG realized what was happening was wrong, and stopped it. Simple.
They then created ICANN to continue the process as successor to IANA.

>>My "technical" half failed to understand why if IANA had the power, the
>>A-root was hosted somewhere else, but my "political" half suggested not
>
>Remote hosting is not an indication of non-authority.  Indeed, most
>Internet services that require good connectivity and 7x24 operation are
>typically (co-)located at a remote facility.  IANA is not an operations
>facility.

Los Nettos is the Marina Del Ray operations facility for MAE-LA. I think
you'll find the same USC/ISI staff overlapping in their duties to oversee
IANA, Los Nettos, and b.root-servers.net. Ask Bill. ;-)

Best Regards,

Simon

--
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds
discuss people, and Fools argue.