Re: [ga] Fw: ADNS NEWSLETTER: ASLAN SERVER VISIBILITY JUMPS BY 54%

Hi all,
	Apart from the fact that it's just a shameless plug, I'd like to put
it into perspective.

(...)
> 1. Visibility of ORSC Top-Level domains jumps 54% in March
(...)
> VISIBILITY OF ORSC TOP-LEVEL DOMAINS JUMPS 54% IN MARCH
> The results are in and they show that the number of hits on ADNS's
> root server / resolver ASLAN.OPEN-RSC.ORG jumped in March to 530,634 hits
> compared to 353,000 in February. This is an increase of over 54%.

/flame on heat-level=nova

This means that on average, it was getting around 1 hit every 5 seconds.
Note that if I look at the hits that *my* main resolver gets (the main
resolver for an ISP with around 3500 dialup customers, and a bunch of hosted
sites, but with a total outbound connectivity of 2Mb which is not full -ie a
VERY small ISP by todays standards-) it's aproximately 5 times that (one hit
per second aprox).
My system services 3500+ customers. ORSC roots are trying to indicate that
they are a RELEVANT alternative to the legacy IANA roots (which serve for
all *practical* purposes ALL of the internet).
If someone can post the hits per second of the legacy IANA roots, it would
put it even further in perspective, but I suspect that the ORSC is something
around 0.01% of hits at the VERY most. I don't call that relevant. In fact I
call it totally IRRELEVANT.

Also note that because of the way ORSC tries to attract attention, a large
portion of its hits will probably be coming from individual users as opposed
to coming from the main resolvers of ISPs. If the individual users of the
internet were to point their individual computers directly at the IANA
roots, we'd probably have a meltdown. (what I'm saying is that small as
those results are, even so they are probably artificially inflated, which
means that they are even *more* irrelevant than can be thought at first
glance)

/flame off

A burning commentary, but true nevertheless.

Yours, John Broomfield.