[ga] Direct Evidence, as asked

George Strawn - just to give you a hint:

http://www.interact.nsf.gov/cise/contact.nsf/lastname/Strawn?OpenDocument

>36. ... IANA continued its function of overseeing the
>allocation of IP numbers and domain name registrations.

The fact that it refers to the RFC is to put into context
the fact that NSF gave authority to IANA to authorize
changes to the DNS.

>38. ...  NSF understood that the LANA would authorize
>substantive changes to the DNS only where those changes had consensus
>support within the Internet community.
>
>45. Under the Cooperative Agreement and RFC 1591, NSI had no
>unilateral authority to register new gTLDs. NSI instead was required
>to consult with the LANA regarding any applications for new TLDs.

William, you asked for DIRECT EVIDENCE of IANA's authority. This
comes from the DIRECTOR OF THE NSF in charge of these things. You
can't have much more direct evidence than this!

READ NUMBER 36 AGAIN! This is a DIRECT STATEMENT by the NSF that
IANA's function was overseeing the allocation of IP numbers and
domain name registrations.

I reiterate...

I believe, that we can place April 4, 1997 as the cutoff date
for any consideration of pioneer preference based on IANA's
actions.

--
Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web