Re: [ga] Older Registrations

> What is more telling is that you appear to give the impression you
disagree
> with him when that is the exact thing you have said you supported when
both
> Ambler and Higgs tried to imply that authority did grow out of vacuum(in
not
> quite so many words).

I've never said it grows out of vacuum. I've said that the NSF gave IANA
authority over numeric and alphanumeric identifiers. They never put a
constraint on it. As such, IANA has exercised that authority in creating
country-code TLDs, International TLDs, and a myriad of other protocol
identifiers.

You ask for a specific place where NSF said, "Hey, IANA, you can create
gTLDs!" (never mind that there was no such thing as a "gTLD" at the time.
Even Jon Postel's preferred "iTLD" name wasn't coined yet). There is
no such place. There is also no such place where the NSF said that IANA
could specifically select ports for HTML (didn't exist yet) or SMTP (did
exist). They just gave a blanket "discretionary authority" approval.

IANA used it.

End of story.

Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web