Re: [ga] About GA membership again......

Bret Fausett wrote:

>Hasn't it been the case that members of constituencies are also members
 of
>the General Assembly, by default? Will those membership lists be passed
>the secretariat or will constituency members have to separately enroll?
 I'd
>favor the former.

Me too.

In former times we had to build in a hurry the concept of "membership by
 default", because of the need for voting procedures (nominations for
BoD, for instance).
In this context, the NC needed to expand the voting body to include not
only the GA-list, but also the Constituencies (as a matter of fact, the
WGs as well).

I personally do not like the concept of "membership by default", and
much prefere the proactive action of applying for a Membership, as a
voluntary act, that you have the freedom of doing or not doing,
accepting the consequences (positive and negative) af your action.
In other words, you take responsibility for joining, and in the future
you could not claim that it was done automatically, maybe even without
you knowing it.

Furthermore, we may have requirements for membership, that are not
necerssarily the same for the constituencies mailing lists or WGs (or
the GA-list, for that matter).

Last but not least, I have a question: do we check for duplicates, or
for "real person", or not? In other words, are we going to have
requirements for membership that are even less restrictive than the
requirements for subscribing to the Ga mailing list (where we require
the subscribers to be "real persons", and we challenge duplicates?

Regards
Roberto