Re: [ga] Message from the Chair - List Rules

Kent,

My opinion is that Michael raises a matter of principle.

The question basically is:
"Is the GA-list now 'monitored' or is the GA-list unmonitored, and the
'monitored' list provided as an additional service?'
To correctly answer this question, the details underlined by Michael are
 important.

The answer is:
"The GA-list is now 'monitored', and the 'unmonitored' list is provided
as an additional service, with added value vs. the past of allowing
posting from non-members (therefore, more open than before), and
including also posts otherwise rejected (with the exception of what may
happen for strictly technical reasons)"

Personally, I have also problems with this approach, but I feel I have
to choose between the "perfect" theoretical solutionm and an acceptable
"least evil" that will guarantee better participation.
In a perfect world, we should be able to deal with what you call "people
 who aspire to be disruptive assholes" without the need to invest
resources for monitoring. But I just have to acknowledge that this world
 is not perfect.

Note that, IMHO, in a perfect world, you would need no laws, because
people would act nicely independently from the fear of sanctions, which
are in itself a thing that makes this world "imperfect".

Regards
Roberto