Re: [ga] Re: no matter may pass out of the DNSO without the expli citapproval of the ga

Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:
> But I have a broader question for your contemplation. ICANN is responsible
> for the technical management of three things -- not one, but three: names,
> numbers, and protocols.  I think this suggests that GA would be limiting
> it's comments/suggestions to the Names Council's work--I'm only seeking
> clarification of your comment, not commenting on it.

For creating initial proposals, I think the GA has to limit itself to domain
name issues when making new policy recommendations. (ICANN Bylaws, Article
IV, Section 2(b)).

There is a provision in the ICANN bylaws, however, that allows any SO to
strike down the proposal of any other SO if it "reasonably opposes" what the
other SO has recommended. (ICANN Bylaws, Article IV, Section 2(e)(4)). I'm
not aware that any other SO has moved forward with any new policy
recommendation, but if it did, a discussion of that recommendation here in
the GA (as well as in the constituencies and the NC) would be warranted.

       -- Bret