[ga] Re: no matter may pass out of the DNSO without the explicit approvalof the ga

> 1. Request Mr Gaetano expressly mandate Mr Auerbach to take whatever steps are
> required to accomplish a clear statement of the above powers within ICANN rules in
> time for the Cairo conference with a view to making a formal presentation of the
> ambit and powers of the ga at that conference.

We have such a statement in the WG-D archives and in the GA meeting
minutes from Los Angeles.  It'll take some digging.

The basic idea is for the GA to make a formal petition to the ICANN board
to amend the bylaws or articles to give the GA a particular power.  And
that power be that the GA would have to approve any matter that flows from
the DNSO to the ICANN board.

This would place the GA on an equal footing with the NC in terms of
creating domain name policies.

> 2. Also propose that ga assign itself rights to propose and dispose of DNSO
> constituency representatives for malfeasance, etc, should those rights not already
> be in place.

Interesting idea, but might I suggest two things: First that this might be
best handled as a separate thread of discussion, decoupled from the issue
of the power of the GA to pass on DNSO policies.

Second, I would generally support the notion that constituency matters are
for the constituencies to deal with.  I say this especially in the context
that here we are asking for for the NC to keep its hands out of the GA and
in the next breath asking for the GA to be able to stick its hands into
the constituencies.

> 3. Request subcommittee be set up to discuss 'pure' censorship issues and discussion
> of such matters be adjourned sine die or until such time as the committee reports.

OK, fine by me, with one question: in the meantime what happens?

		--karl--