Re: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 02:58:42PM +0100, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> Kent,
>
> You wrote:
> >
> >The GA has nothing whatsoever to do with the voting pool for at-large
> >Board members.
> >

> True, but don't you think that it is very likely that most of the people
>  who are now participating in the GA will be eligible for ICANN
> membership?

Also true, but I don't think very relevant.  Current plans call for
there being 5000 members, a figure that can only be reached by some
totally different process.  The entire current ga would be 5% of the total
membership.  The active members on the list would be like 2%.

> I would go even further, and say that this debate (mailing list, rules,
> membership, ...) will be looked at with interest by ICANN before
> defining the criteria and rules for ICANN membership (the voting pool
> for at-large Board members).

Some interest, perhaps.  But that at-large membership is not going to
be just a 5000 member mailing list -- the situation in the GA doesn't
scale.