RE: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules

Michael:

The DNSO GA is specific to the DNSO, just as the ASO GA is specific to the
ASO and the PSO GA is specific to the PSO.  [Unlike the DNSO, the ASO and
PSO have defined their "General Assemblies" as annual open meetings, not as
standing entities.]  Conceptually, the DNSO GA is the aggregate of all
individuals involved in the DNSO.  None of the three Supporting Organization
GAs has any role in choosing the 9 At Large Directors on the ICANN Board,
just as none of the three SO Councils has any role in choosing the 9 At
Large Directors.  That's because the three SOs otherwise choose the other 9
ICANN Directors.

The 9 At Large Directors are to be chosen by an At Large Membership.  The
ICANN Board has defined the At Large Membership in Article II of the Bylaws
<http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#II>;  and adopted resolutions at
each of its last three meetings -- in Los Angeles
<http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-4nov99.htm#membership>, in
Santiago
<http://www.icann.org/santiago/santiago-resolutions.htm#anchor21816>, and in
Berlin <http://www.icann.org/berlin/berlin-resolutions.html#3>.  ICANN
sought funding from various sources to finance the launch of the At Large
Membership structure;  in November, the Markle Foundation announced that it
would contribute $200,000 to finance it
<http://www.icann.org/at-large/markle-proposal-21oct99.htm>.  Since then,
ICANN has hired a project manager and technical consultants to build the
back-end for membership registration and voting;  we're preparing to launch
the Membership Implementation Task Force to assist with recruitment and
outreach;  and the Board is preparing to resolve remaining membership &
election policy issues at its next meeting, in Cairo in March.  See
<http://www.icann.org/cairo2000/cairo-details.htm#agenda>.

Nothing squirmy here.  It's all there in black-and-white, as it has been for
months, collected on the ICANN page for At Large Membership
<http://www.icann.org/at-large/at-large.htm>.

--Andrew