Re: [ga] Ricochet.net domain name gets hacked

>At 11:37 3/01/00 -0500, Martin B. Schwimmer wrote:
>>
>>http://www.redherring.com/insider/1999/1230/news-metricom.html?id=yahoo
>>

>Black mark for NSI here.

I disagree in this case.

NSI offers people the use of PGP authentication or even basic password
authentication for the protection of their data in the NSI database.

The black mark goes to the technical staff at Metricom for not making use
of the available authentication techniques, opting for the easily hacked
MAIL-FROM instead.

>But what about the "legal" hijack of americascup.com that now (with the
>help of a simple *temporary* restraining order, issued by the long arm of a
>California court against an overseas defendant) redirects to Quokka Sports'
> americascup.org website?

I find the etoy.com case more abhorrent. Their domain (which existed before
etoys.com) gets pulled on the basis of a restraining order. That sucks the
Kumara big time.

Andrew P. Gardner

Never suggest to your Mother to shop on-line for a pearl necklace.