Re: [ga] Two things troubling me with the GA Chair elections...

> ...   That theme is "GA as
> interest group/ constituency of its own".   For better or worse,
> the DSNO isn't designed that way.  As I've said in previous
> notes, the combination of that design and having groups in the
> GA who are clearly disenfranchised implies a problem that needs
> to be fixed, either by some appropriate readjustment of the
> constituency list or by deciding that the GA contains
> unrepresented interests after all, and contains them to the
> extent that the GA ought to be represented on the NC. Without
> that fixed, we inevitably have a confusing situation on our
> hands.

Then I am confused.

It is patently obvious to me that the DNSO's "constituency" structure is
an rigid snapshot of a some pre-ordained list of who, according to some
arbitrary decision, has "stake" in the Internet. And it is obvious me that
the DNSO's "constituency" structure is greatly biased in favor of
commercial interests, is biased against non commercial interests, and
entirely disenfranchises individual domain name owners.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the GA contains many who are
disenfranchised or underenfranchised in the DNSO's NC.

If this is by-design, then it is a very broken design indeed.

I personally see no value whatsoever in the "constituency" structure used
in the DNSO, especially when we see that it is structured so that not only
are many excluded entirely but also that several corporations are able to
partake of the benefits of membership in multiple constituencies and hence
achieve a multiplication of their votes.

The GA is the only place where those who are disenfranchised can
participate.  And as we have seen, that participation is made effectively
illusory and void by the NC's controlling hand.

The GA must select its own chair.

No issue should pass out of the DNSO unless approved by the GA.

The GA, being the only body in the DNSO open to *all* interests should
elect the DNSO's board seats.

		--karl--