Re: [ga] CURRENT STATUS OF NOMINATION PROPOSALS (fwd)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 idno@tallship.net wrote:

> Here is a recap of the proposals and the support which they had received.
> there were no new proposals yesterday or any added support for the
> existing proposals yesterday.

Actually, there was. I proposed that individual list members make their
own personal nominations to the NC, given the lack of:

    a) A minimally verified membership in order to establish voting
       rights and minimize fraud.
    b) Consensus/Vote-based processes for conducting the normal business
       of the GA
    c) An agreed-upon nomination process that b) would enable and make
       credible.

While I appreciate the efforts of those proposing a single GA-wide
nomination process, the lack of all of the above renders any move to
offer one or more names or process as being representative of the
wishes of the GA as an entity completely inappropriate and devoid
of any validity IMO. It would seem much more preferrable and honest to
simply offer individual nominations.

What would be most preferrable to me personally is for the GA to start
with process before decision-making, and the amendment of the ICANN bylaws
to allow the GA to elect their own chair, a right all other ICANN
constituencies enjoy.