Re: [ga] nomination procedures

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 10:42:09PM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> >In the extreme, the method you propose would allow Jeff Williams, who
> >has quietly signed up 50 fake names to the GA list, to carry the day
> >and get his 5 favorite candidates selected.  (I myself have signed up
> >a few fake names just in case the votes are needed.)
>
> In light of this statement made by Mr. Crispin, I must agree with him,
> that we do not have a valid electorate, and any nomination or other
> selection process is suspect at best, invalid at worst;  This includes
> the prior BoD nomination proceedings.

I'm glad that you finally understand the problem.  However, this is
actually an argument *for* the method used in the BoD elections,
because it is, in fact, very resiliant against fake identities.

The problem with the "X candidates with the most votes" model is that
it allows fakes to carry the day.  That's why the NC votes and the GA
nominates -- the NC is composed of verifiable real people; the GA is
just email addresses, and email addresses are not people.

> There has long been suspicion here and in other lists that one or more
> active addresses are in reality one person.  Here we have an admission
> of this deliberate act, for the purposes of voting.
>
> We cannot proceed in good conscience.

Of course we can.  My "admission" has not changed the *facts* one
whit. :-)