RE: [ga] nomination procedures

Kent Crispin wrote:

>   The GA will select five nominated names and forward those 5 names
>   to the NC.  The list of five names will include the following:

Do I understand correctly that you propose that the GA members nominate
candidates, and then select (with a vote, I assume) 5 candidates to forward
to the NC from the set of nominees that have at least 10 statements of
support?

>   1) Levels of support will be shown by a list of 10 names of GA
>   members in support of the nominee.  We use the same definition of
>   "GA member" that was used for the BoD nomination:  Any member of
>   the ga, ga-announce, WG lists, and Constituency lists.

I strongly disagree on that.
This is the election of the GA chair, I don't see why we should include the
constituencies and/or the working groups.
Moreover, we have already seen the mess generated by the fact that multiple
lists are used as a basis for the electorate. Why should we repeat the same
mistake?

>   2) To assure that the NC can make an educated evaluation of
>   candidates, each nominee must provide a short background, and
>   statement of purpose and objectives the nominee has in the role as
>   Chair of the GA.  This should include: what the nominee can and
>   will do for the GA and its role in the DNSO; how they intend to
>   interact with the NC and the 7 constituencies within the DNSO and
>   the GA; and anything else the nominee considers important.
>

> John's proposal is essentially a continuation of the status quo; and
> there is no mechanism to select between new proposals.  At some
> future time we may have such a mechanism, but we don't now, and we
> aren't likely to get anything close to agreement on anything new in
> the time frame available to us.

I would not be so pessimistic.
I think that some of the proposals are technically different, but not
different in the spirit. Some grouping may be possible.

For instance, I don't think that it will be impossible to merge:

2. Jonathan Miller:
3. Jonathan Weinberg:
4. Roberto Gaetano:
7. Javier Rodriguez:
8. John Klensin:

They all aim at having the GA coming up (with a more or less sophisticated
mechanism) with a set of 3 to 5 names to propose to NC.

Also, 6. Jonathan Weinberg is not an independent proposal, it restates 3.
and 4. above.

Regards
Roberto