Re: [ga] List Chair nomination help-tool

On 15-Nov-99 idno@tallship.net wrote:
> You destroy the CA/IDNO and then have the audacity to threaten to sabotage
> our process here?
>
> How dare you attempt to subvert the DNSO's GA! Kindly confine your
> poisonous touch to the JDNO where it belongs and don't even list my name
> or associate it with your little magic booth.
>
> I think (and I speak only for myself here) we can and will use much more
> appropriate resources than one's tarnished by your name and reputation Mr.
> Teernstra!

Now, lets not take this too far. Let's keep the criticisms to matters of substance,
or they lose their credibility.

Joop's polling booth is a great concept, admittedly one that needs some work though
and has its flaws.  I also think sometimes he has been a little too "gung-ho" about
it, automatically signing everything on the GA list up for accounts for instance was
probably not a wise move in the past, and I think even he would concede that.

However, I have had the pleasure of checking out Kent's email votebot.  I have to
say I am quite impressed with it, and personal differences aside, if I were to pick
one over the other, Kent's email system strikes me as being the best choice, and I
dare say that had a system like this been instituted in the IDNO then the
disenfranchisement of many of the members might not have occured.  What is
particularly attractive about it is that it reduces us to the lowest common
denominator, email.  No Java required polling booth application written with
proprietary tools that require high licensing fees.  Having the source available
makes it easy to customize, as well as scrutinize, the security and veracity of the
system.  For an application like a polling booth, etc, the source should be
available for review.  This permits a much broader testing of the security and
functionality, and a better chance for improvement.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934