From: nigel@ind.tansu.com.au [mailto:nigel@ind.tansu.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 12:05 AM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: [ga] Top-level name suggestion

        Hi. I don't know if this list is the right place to discuss
this, but I couldn't think of any other way of talking to the people
who make these decisions.

        Would it be possible to start _enforcing_ a new domain nameing
scheme for movies (motion pictures & videos) ?
Something like '.mov' or '.movie'.

        I am very annoyed that, every time a new hollywood blockbuster
is named, a new top-level .com domain name is generated with teasers
about the movie. Why?

* A movie _not_ a company.
  Movies are often produced by a company, and sometimes distributed by
  another company. But 'www.whatisthematrix.com' is an abomination.
  There is no business entity called "What is the Matrix".
  To my way of thinking, the registration should not be allowed.

* Most people expect to buy products from a company.
  Some movie names might sell products (e.g. If I wanted to buy some
  Star Wars stuff, I might look up www.starwars.com), but most do not.

* Sometimes, a movie name will clash with a company name.

        The same sort of idea could be applied to product names and
celebrities' names (cindy.crawford.celebrity?), but I suspect that
this would be seen as being too pedantic.

        Anyone else think that movie names should _not_ be .com ?

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "reality  is  that  which  |
| Telstra IN & InD, Sydney, Australia.  |  doesn't go away when you  |