Re: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> They require disclosure of private customer information.  As I read them,
> a registrar must put my home address and phone number on a world-readable
> database (whois) and also sell it to bulk buyers.  This conflicts with how
> both the French and German implementations have been explained to me,
> although I emphasize this is all second-hand -- not the product of my own
> research.

According to the EC directive, disclosure is possible with consent, thus
not impossible. But you should know that there are many ways to
interpret the EC directive. I think Eva Frolich wrote something on the
matter. Different countries have different implementations and different
people have different interpretations of the directive and the
implementations .-)

It's good business for law firms, though...

Well, I guess this is a little off topic, so we better continue by
private e-mail.

Regards,

Mikael

  ICQ:35638414                                mailto:mikael@pawlo.com