Re: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, J. Baptista wrote:
> > >I think that the whois terms of service in ICANN's agreement with
> > >NSI violate EU data protection law.
> > Hmm - how did you reach such a conclusion?
> Just goto the EU web site and look it up.  Europeans have a superior
> version of privacy law in comparasen to north american guidlines, which
> basically don't exists.

Yeah, right.
But if you're supposed to have a legal opinion, you need to be a little
more specific. I can't see why the personal data protection
directive would interfere with a Whois-database.

Further, the relation between American and European privacy is in
practice a lot more complex than suggested here. For example, in Sweden ou
have to relieve your social security number in order to be able to make a
single order on your credit card. So we don't always have such a strong
privacy enforcement as Americans tend to believe.

Regards,

Mikael

  ICQ:35638414                                mailto:mikael@pawlo.com
                                              http://www.pawlo.com/