[ga] H.R. 3028 and ICANN UDRP

A few items that are gnawing at me:

What will be the result if the current H.R. 3028 (Rogan's
anti-cybersquatting bill, similar to Abraham's S. 1255 bill) is
passed, and conflicts with ICANN's UDRP?  Which one will give?

...and what does the existence of these bills in the US Congress say about
either the US Government's need to control DNS, ICANN's foray into
policy matters that are not directly technical, or both?

Finally, what does it say about the current state of affairs that both
Abraham and Rogan have been targets of for-profit cybersqatting in recent
months, prior to the drafing of their respective bills, I believe?

Again, we're seeing the line between law and ICANN blurred, and it's
making me very nervous.  There was supposed to be a clear demarcation
between policy matters pertaining to existing law (e.g., TM protection)
and technical matters pertaining to the daily functioning of the net
(ICANN's bailiwick).

It's about time someone in a position of authority from Congress, Commerce,
and/or ICANN came forth and reasserted that line, because it's getting
harder to find.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org