Re: [ga] Close of nominations for the election of ICANN Board members

All, and specifically NC members,

I understand that there has was some confusion about the ability of Carl
Bildt to stand for election, given his responsibilities as a UN special
peace envoy to the Balkans.

The ICANN bylaws prohibit the election of "government officials whose
primary function with such government or entity is to develop or influence
governmental or public policies." Based on the limited information I have
about Mr. Bildt's current responsibilities, I do not believe he would not
be prohibited from running, as he is not "developing" or "influencing"
policy.

I further understand that Mr. Bildt had refrained from accepting the
nomination until the issue of his ability to stand for election had been
sorted out. If this is true, then I would suggest adding Mr. Bildt to the
list below, contingent on a determination that he is eligible to serve.
The process seems to have suffered from the lack of a credentials
committee able to pass on his standing, and his nomination should not be
held up because of that.

It would be a shame to lose a candidate of Mr. Bildt's stature because of
our collective inability to address the complicated and novel issue of his
standing on the shortened time scale. If I am incorrect on any of the
above, please let me know.

       -- Bret