[ga] Elections

Folks,

The nomination period is about to end, and time is coming for the election
of the three ICANN Directors.
I would have liked the GA to elect the BoD members, but since according to
the Bylaws this is the prerogative of the Council, the only thing we can do
now is to explain our choices of names, hoping that the Council will use
this thread as input.
I firmly believe that we should go beyond the simple pick of names and short
message to icann-nominations@dnso.org, but that we should really do some
"campaign" for the candidates we support, making sure that the Council has
all the input for its decision, and that it will listen to the voice of the
individuals debating in this list.

I am confident that this thread, if followed up, will contain only
statements "in support of" candidates, not statements "against" candidates.
We have had already too much of the "against" stuff ;>(.

My choice has been for one person per ICANN Region.
I believe in geographical distribution and thought that I should apply this
rule also in limiting the nominations to one per region. I know that some
formerly good friends will not be happy with not having received my support,
but I hope that they understand the reason behind it.

Among the candidates from Latin America, I support Edmundo Valenti.
He may be not as well-known outside his Region, but those who have
relationship with Latin America know him.
Besides the personal knowledge, I believe that ISPs have to be represented
in the Board, and as ICANN's decision has been to accept the RIRs proposal
for ASO, therefore letting ISPs out of it, the only chance they have is via
the DNSO.
I hope that Alejandro and Oscar realize that I had a very hard time in
making my choice for this region.

From North America, I support Karl Auerbach.
I know I disagree often with him, on the different lists and in personal
messages, but I believe he will be the person that will make sure that small
business, individuals, and otherwise disenfranchised categories of people
have a point of reference in ICANN's Board.
I believe that it will be a very dangerous sign if the Council will elect to
the Board only people that are connected with large business, TradeMark
interests, and techies (like Registries, Registrars, ISPs, ...), and I would
like to make sure that somebody that has in his heart the interests and
expectations of the "ordinary people" is onBoard ;>).

My choice from Africa is Nii Quaynor.
I am expecting from him not only to fight for a better understanding in
ICANN of the problems of the parts of the planet that have had a different
cultural evolution, like Africa, but also for a different and more important
role of the General Assemblies in the life of the organization.

I never had the honour to meet in person Naomasa Maruyama, my choice for the
Asia Pacific.
Or maybe I did, in Tokio two years ago - the day before the first General
Meeting of CORE, but it was in a situation in which I met many new people at
the same time, and didn't remember all the faces.
Anyway, I have heard a lot about him, and about his activity not only in
JPNIC, but in general for the Internet.

Last but not least, my good old friend Amadeu Abril i Abril, European like
myself, one of the most knowledgeable and dedicated persons I know, that
shares with Karl Auerbach the unique ability of convincing me that I'm wrong
(no wonder they are both lawyers).
Also, a person who is not afraid to openly say what he thinks, even if it
will make him impopular.

Regards
Roberto