Re: [ga] Nomination of Nii Quaynor

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Dr. Nii N. Quaynor wrote:

> >I have no issue with Quaynor's nomination.  I am concerned that he not
> >allow himself ever to be bullied by the lawyers.  The IDNO/ICANN scandal
> >in Santiago in which he lost control is the reference I'm reffering to.
> >

> The challenge of the Chair of a complex organization such as the GA is not
> to take sides but allow allsides to be heard, including the lawyers in the
> DNSO. Sometimes to be in-control is not to directly control but to
> coordinate. I wonder the scandal in reference, however.

Please do not misunderstand me.  I am not against your nomination, in fact
I support it.  And I understand the complexities of chairing, and the
issue of not taking sides.  No objection on that.

My concern was when you made a decision, and then the lawyers forced you
to reconsider.  When a chair makes a decision, it's final.

I completely understand the pressures you were under.  I was annoyed by
the fact a decision was reached by the assembly, and under Robert's that
should have been it, as respect the IDNO vote.  But the lawyers forced the
chair to reconsider the motion made and voted on.  The scandal is the fact
it happened.

Cheers
Joe Baptista

--
Planet Communication & Computing Facility           baptista@pccf.net
Public Access Internet Research Publisher           1 (212) 894-3704 ext. 1033