Re: Re[2]: [IDNO-DISCUSS] RE: [ga] BIND 1999 Survey and ICANN Support(fwd)

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Jeff Mason wrote:

> I don't think it's our position to really care one way or the other who
> does or does not take us seriously.  Were not being paid for that.

Exactly.  That's the point.  I am here for a purpose, not to gain favour.
I leave that game to those who aspire to that sort of thing.

In my opinion Planet Communications & Computing Facility is no better and
no less then the 110,000 individuals on our bind1999 enumeration.  We only
represent 1/190,000 of the solution to this puzzel and that is a
percentage so close to nothing as to make no odds.  In other words Mr.
Walsh can feel secure and confident that our importance to the process is
not even at issue.  Were not here to earn brownies or good girl guide
medalions.  It's not in the budget.

The only claim to fame that Planet Communications can make is that we
understand very clearly who runs the worlds communications infrastructure.
That control belongs to any person or body corporate that can edit the
root.cache file.  That's it.  We make no further claims.

Find fault in that.  And if you can't, don't bother engaging polite
debate.

Now to further discussion in the appropriate direction.  PCCF's concern is
that non of these 190,000 people understand they in fact are in control.
I would venture to speculate that non of these identified groups have
bother to contact them and let them know.

That's OK.  Few people understand how the DNS system works and that it was
designed in such a way that anyone could rebuild it.

Remember, the internet was specifically designed to allow those still
alive after a thermonuclear engagement to continue computing.  Even if all
root servers were knocked out, any person having the resources and
technical knowledge could rebuild the infrastructure.

Of course, a lawyer or politician would not know that, would they.

So our only interest is in empowering those who are already in control
of the infrastructure.  In the end - it's their choice, not mine and not
yours.  Anyone object to that?  Anyone want to debate that?

If not, let's leave the trolls and drag queens in the closet where they
belong.  This is not a party or debating society for beginners.  This is a
place where we can find solutions and resolve problems based on fact and
not fantasy.

Cheers
Joe Baptista

--
Planet Communication & Computing Facility           baptista@pccf.net
Public Access Internet Research Publisher           1 (212) 894-3704 ext. 1033