[ga] BetaNews.Com - Inside Information On Products Not Yet Released (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:18:30 -0400
From: Planet Communications <correspondence@pccf.net>
Subject: BetaNews.Com - Inside Information On Products Not Yet Released

more division.  the system is clearly destabilizing - but I doubt this
poses much of a treat.

jb

http://betanews.com/article.php3?sid=story37bfc2ee593d3
Title: BetaNews.Com - Inside Information On Products Not Yet Released

BetaNews.Com

Back Home
Français
K-Jöfol Homepage
Dialer 2000
Sections
DirectX 7
Mozilla 5
Office 2000
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Change Windows UI
Hotlist
Comm
Advertise
Discussion
Links
Mailing List
Contact Staff

top.level domains.open Sunday, Aug. 22 - 05:34 AM EDT

     By Kevin Strishock, BetaNews.Com Affiliated Reporter

     Have you ever wondered why Internet addresses end in only two or three letters? (.com, .org, .uk) So did a webmaster out of Laverne, California - and that is why he created TLDNS.COM, a new top level domain registration system. Using their site and a special peice of software, you can now have domain names that are twenty characters by ten characters. Choose anything you want, such as beta.news. To showcase its new product, TLDNS.COM has decided to give away free two years of DNS service to anyone who registers their domain TODAY.

     Have you ever wondered why Internet addresses end in only two or three letters? (.com, .org, .uk) So did a webmaster out of Laverne, California - and that is why he created TLDNS.COM, a new top level domain registration system. Using their site and a special peice of software, you can now have domain names that are twenty characters by ten characters. Choose anything you want, such as beta.news. To showcase its new product, TLDNS.COM has decided to give away free two years of DNS service to anyone who registers their domain TODAY. The free Top Level's started at 12 AM PDT August 22nd, and presently there have been over 20,000 domains registered. The system works by using a small peice of software that adds their own DNS servers into your already existing DNS tables. It's seamless and the program itself is only 20 KB. It runs on Windows 95/98/NT, with plans in the works for porting to different flavors of UNIX, and hopefully full integration to the Internet Root Servers at some point in the near future. If this were to occur, using top level domains would require no software whatsoever.

     "We're right at the two hour mark and we've got 11,000 domains registered, we'll probably do, if my numbers are correct, and people can keep typing (their fingers are probably getting tired), 125,000 by the end of the day." said Robin Nixon, founder of TLDNS.com. "The idea behind this is to open up the webspace and give it back to the users of the web. That's the key."

     Sources have indicated that Network Solutions is open for discussions but only in areas that have no conflict with their governmental contracts.

     Domains will cost $100 USD at 11:59 AM PDT August 22nd, so hurry up and get your favorite domains while they are still free (and available).

      Download the TLDNS.COM Software - ultranet.exe

©1998-1999 BetaNews.Com. All Rights Reserved.