RE: [ga] Agenda for GA meeting in Santiago, Chile

Roberto,

Sure, I have some ideas.  Try this one on for size:

1. Email has not proven to be a good medium for the exchange of ideas, and
especially not for developing ideas into coherent proposals that have buy-in
from important groups.  Proof?  Look at the last two years.  Therefore, I
believe that it would be a great idea to move from email only to email PLUS
online synchronous typed "chat" sessions, where a chair would recognize
"speakers" and Robert's Rules or similar would apply.  All "meetings",
either of working groups or of the Names Council, or of the GA, would happen
in this way.  This should be coupled with voting software (not that hard),
so that decisions can be taken at these meetings.  The advantages of this
approach are many:

(a) the record is complete, automatically.  No more of these bland minutes
that don't tell anyone what happened.
(b) Troublemakers can be thrown off
(c) Easy to have "read only" participants
(d) Can actually get decisions made

I am told that AOL, one of the ICANN-approved registrars, has some expertise
in matters of chat and how to make the method work for different purposes.

Antony

P.S. If you can't type, then dictate.  That's not an excuse.