Re: [ga] Santiago DNSO GA Chair

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 09:24:26PM +0200, Michael Froomkin wrote:
[...]
> This is not a movie.  No one has died, and I hope no one will (although
> it is not inconceivable that a result of the requirement of open whois
> is that someone with an unpopular web site will be found and killed;
> this worries me).

Does it worry you more than someone running an unpopular newspaper
being found and killed? And aren't you confusing "web site" and
"domain name"? Finally, why is this problem not simply solved by
someone (for example, you) providing an anonymous domain registration
service? Is it that you would prefer that the domain registrars be
the ones who are would be killed, instead of the person actually
responsible for the material in question?

> Get a grip.

OK.

> What he have here so far is a simple story of various economic
                                ************

I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time...

> interests trying to make rules that favor them
> and disfavor consumers, while others seek to preserve a monopoly.
> Meanwhile, various governments seek to encourage the construction of
> systems that favor law enforcement and taxation authorities, at the
> expense of privacy and (in some cases) political freedom.  Various
> supra-national organizations seek to insert themselves into the process
> for various high and low minded reasons (in some cases, the source for
> power and revenue).   The usual complicated mess.

And you, of course, are the only altruist in the bunch?