Re: [ga] Committee E: Global Awareness and Outreach -- revised draft charter

KIlnam and all,

  Please forgive my late reply here to this post.   I have been out of town
and have not replied to my E-Mail in order.  (See more comments below)

Kilnam Chon wrote:

> here is the revised charter for Committee E Global Awareness and Outreach.
>
> we need to have participation from all regions and all constituencies to be
> a valid Committee under DNSO.  we are missing Latin America, and several
> constituencies(ISP, IP, Commercial, gTLD, Registrar).  please join the
> committee, and participate actively.

  Does one need to be representing any constituency to participate?

> we are planning the face-to-face meeting in Santiago, possibly on Tueasdy
> 24th over lunch, too.

  Good!  Than I take it you are buying?  >;)

> chon

> DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT
>
>                                                                 1999.8.4
> ICANN
> DNSO
>                 Committee E
>                 Global Awareness and Outreach
>    information.  We would like to have participation from all regions as well
>    as all constituencies.
>
> 3. The designated provisional Names Council co-chair is Nii Quaynor, and
>    the other provisional co-chair is Kilnam Chon.  Once sufficient number of
>    participants are gathered, the co-chair election will take place.  This
>    shall be done no later than August 31, 1999.

  I believe that there is some controversy as to whether Nii is the
legitimate chair...  See ga@dnso.org archives for more detain.

> 4. Two groups are tentatively created;
>
>         Group 1: General Assembly
>         Group 2: Constituency
>
> 5. The timeframe is as follows;
>
>         July 07         Initial draft charter of Committee E
>         July 15         Initial Co-chair nomination
>         Aug - Oct       Work on recommendation
>         August 23       Face-to-Face Meeting
>         September 15    Posting of Recommendation
>
> CHARTER
>
> Committee E Awareness and Outreach is requested to develop a recommendation
> responding to the following questions:
>
> 1. Generic Issues
>
> a. Target
>
> Who are we looking for; professional and/or netizen?  Who we do not want?

  I don't believe that the last question that you pose here is germane, as
we want EVERYBODY that we can get.

> [...]
>
> What is the message?  What information do we want to be known?  Who are we
> addressing?  What publication media shall we use?  What public relation
> activities are needed?  Is face-to-face presentation necessary in addition
> to contact through the Internet?
>
> c. Outreach
>
> How do we make iteasy to become a member?  How do we attract the interest of
> potential members?  What would potential members want?  What verification do
> we want for members?  What obligations do members have?
> How dowe communciate, advertise?  How do we leverage on other organizations?
> How do we handle multilingual issues?  What additional effort do we need for
> developing countries?
>

> 2. General Assembly Specific
>
> a. Target
>
> Who are we looking for? Who we do not want? How is a GA member different from
> ICANN At-Large member? Why must one join? What benefits for member?
> What is lost if one doesn't join?
>
> b. Awareness
>
> What is the message? What information do we want to be known? Who are we
> addressing; potential General Assembly member or wider Internet community?
> How do we know(measure) progress in awareness? What are geographic objectives?
>
> c. Outreach
>
> How do we make it easy to become a member? How do we attract the interest of
> potential members? What would potential members want? What verification do
> we want for members? What obligations do members have? How do we communicate,
> advertizing and how? How do we leverage on other organizations?
> Which organizations? Other channels eg. registries?
>
> 3. Constituency Specific
>
> a. Target
>
> Who can be a member? Is there a potential members list? What are benefits
> to members? Is sponsorship permitted and which type?
>

> b. Awareness
>
> What messages are sent to audience? How do we monitor progress in awareness?
> What are geographic objectives? Is there a critical mass goal (number of
> members in constituency) ?
>
> c. Outreach
>
> What does it require to become a member? How do we make membership attractive?
> What would potential members want? How do we simplify application process?
> How do we communicate, advertizing and how? Direct contacts?
>
> CURRENT PARTICIPANT LIST
>
>   Kilnam Chon           chon@cosmos.kaist.ac.kr         ccTLD
>   Nii Quaynor           quaynor@ghana.com               ccTLD
>   Jeff Graber           jgraber@usa.net                 NCDNHC
>   Maya Bottin           Maya.Bottin@etsi.fr             GA
>   Craig Simon           cls@flywheel.com                NCDNHC
>   Tarek Kamel           tkamel@idsc.gov.eg              NCDNHC
>   Roeland Meyer         rmeyer@mhsc.com                 GA
>   Youn Jung Park        yjpark@nic.or.kr                NCDNHC
>   Karl Auerbach         karl@CaveBear.com               GA

> DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894