[ga] Re: ncdnhc discussion items

Dear Randy, and all,

yesterdeay we sent a formal comment on the draft on behalf of a group in
Latin America and the Caribbean.

Our main points in that proposal are:

1. To establish a board for the constituency. This is needed for the
administration of internal affairs and in our view it does not coincide
with the functions of the Names Council we would elect. We propose the
board or council to be formed by five persons according to geographical
diversity. We had proposed this before, and it also is in line with the
proposal by Harald Alvestrand.

2. To respect the geographical diversity criterion in as many instances as
possible. Therefore the board of five.

3. To eliminate the division of organizations into groups by size.

The proposal is accompanied by a sense of urgency to get the NCDNHC
started. In some points we think that there are reasons and arguments for
and against what we propose (eg the size grouping of organizations) and
believe that the drafters of the original document should explain how they
got to that draft.

The proposal is signed by Raul Echeberria (ENRED, Uruguay), Vany Martinez
(SDNP, Panama), Daniel Pimienta (FUNREDES, Republica Dominicana) and
myself on behalf of ISOC Mexico.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty,
     Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
     (Director, Computing Academic Services)
     Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)
     Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 Mexico City DF MEXICO

Tel. (+52-5) 622-8541, 622-8542; Fax 622-8540
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

> so far, there seem to be four areas of discussion of the content of the
> draft proposal for the constituency as appended.
>   o this list may have missed some.  if so, please tell us.
>   o this may have misinterpreted your 'comment'.  if so, please correct us.
>   o people may have additional comments.  if so, please tell us.
>   o it is hoped that you may have further comments on these items.  if so,
>     please make them.
>
> it is time to propose and draft any changes the community feels need to be
> made based on the comments received.  how about we do so before the end of
> next week, after folk have had a few days to comment?
>
> randy
>
> -----
>
> Raul Echeberria <raul@inia.org.uy>:
>
> How will we combine the geographic criteria established in the DNSO by laws
> to elect the three representatives, with the "size" criteria (small/large
> organizations) established in this Draft ?
>
> I agree with Roberto Gaetano (mail of 17/6) in allowing non voting members
> that could be participating in other constituencies.
>
> -----
>
> "J. William Semich (NIC JWS7)" <bsemich@mail.nu>:
>
> The ICANN bylaws specifically state that all DNSO constituencies should be
> open to members of other constituencies ...
>
> -----
>
> Tarek Kamel <tkamel@idsc.gov.eg>
>
> submitted the form for the organization The Internet Society of Egypt - ISE,
> Chapter of the Internet Society.
>
> in the development of the current draft proposal, the issue of membership of
> many sub-groups of a member organization arose.  the drafters thought that
> this could be a problem and needed addressing, but never agreed on any
> specific language.  we ended the discussion by saying that in this early
> stage of the constituency's development, informal persuasion and pressure
> might be better than hard rules.back.
>
> -----
>
> Mark S Petrovic <petrovic@corp.earthlink.net>
>
> submitted a form for the Petrovic family, implying disagreement with the
> draft's provision that organizations, not persons or families, be members
>
> "Small Organizations: Organizations meeting the membership criteria and
> goals for promoting non-commercial activity on the Internet as set out in
> Section I above, operating on a not-for-profit basis for the benefit of more
> than one individual or family, ..."
>
> -30-
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: APisan@SERVIDOR.UNAM.MX