Re: [ga] Preliminary report on the NC June 25th meeting

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:20:07 +0200 (MET DST), Elisabeth PORTENEUVE
<Elisabeth.PORTENEUVE@cetp.ipsl.fr> wrote:
>==> Antony,
>
>    I do not know about teleconference cost in the US, but have some
>    understanding for France.
>    The calling person is charged the telephone fees, which for the
>    international calls (Europe or US) is close to $US 25 per hour.
>    Much more if the number is in AsiaPacific or Africa or LatinACaribbean.
>    The hosting organiser is charged with fees per each caller and
>    per time, and it is not marginal (the exemple I have is approximately
>    $US 10 per caller per hour).
>    There are certainly technical limits about the number of possible
>    callers.
>
>    If we accept NC teleconferences' listeners, we will certainly
>    give an enormous advantage to the North America, and add an
>    additional burden on the reminding part of the world. I do not
>    think you would like it.
>
>    Elisabeth

So let me get this straight.  You are saying that because the price is
a hardship for some, everyone should be prohibited, even it is isn't a
hardship for them?

Thats got to be some of the worst logic I've seen.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

"The fact is that domain names are new and have unique
characteristics, and their status under the law is not yet clear."
--Kent Crispin (June 29th, 1999)