[ga-watchdog]

RE: [ga-watchdog] Resolution to be sent to DNSO GA list

Sorry for the late reply - my day job kept me in meetings for the whole
morning :<(

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> -------------
> The Chairs have noted Jonathan Weinberg's decision to remove
> himself from
> consideration as GA chair.

Change "decision" to "intention".
His statement is outside formal rules: we don't have a formal process to
drop out once accepted nomination.

> After consultation with the Watchdog committee, the Chairs
> have deemed the
> following course of action to be in accordance with the rules
> for elections:
>
> - The election will go ahead as scheduled, with the same
> slate and deadlines.
>    This is because we have no rules that allow us to change a
> running election.
> - In the case of someone sending multiple votes, the LAST
> vote to arrive
>    before the deadline will be counted.

I would add that a new ballot will be sent to everybody (I assume it is
thechnically possible?).
People that have already voted might not be able to re-vote without a new
ballot being sent.

>    This allows you to change your vote if (for instance) you
> voted ONLY for
>    Jonathan Weinberg, and wish to indicate another preference.

I would omit this sentence.
We should not suggest that the action be to change the vote given to a
specific candidate, that we assume is in the valid slate.

> - I f Jonathan Weinberg should be elected, he will be regarded
> as having
>    immediately resigned, and the new chair or co-chair may call
>    a new election to fill the vacancy.

Should read:
- "If Jonathan Weinberg should be elected, *and resignes*, the new chair or
co-chair may call a new election to fill the vacancy"
Please note that the new chair may well be Jonathan himself: he will take
office, resign, and call new elections.

> This seems to be the best we can do under the circumstances.

Regards
Roberto
--
GA Watchdog Committee