[ga-udrp]

Re: [ga-udrp] TM not infringed on by registering a domain name

I just got done rereading these new sunrise provisions for dotBIZ and dotInfo, then I spent an hour with an Attorney who is not versed in Internet Law and explained the situation.  He was shocked and related it to matters such as insider trading.
My friend is named Ford, why should Ford motor company get a headstart on my friend?  The answer is so obvious that they should not that it is just silly.
When I launch the pre-registration of a TLD on Monday can anyone give me a legal or moral reason to give the TM holders a headstart?

Sincerely,
Eric

Keith Gymer wrote:

In light of the US case, you may also be interested in a recent UK Court of
Appeal Judgement which confrirmed a High Court decision to refuse
registration in the UK of the mark "800-FLOWERS" by US entity 1-800-FLOWERS
Inc.  It can also be seen as having relevance to attempts to register domain
names as trademarks.

The CA judgement is at
http://porch.ccta.gov.uk/courtser/judgements.nsf/5cbcc578c01a9c0280256717006
1b8c6/784a2781a6d3659580256a4f004f1e22/$FILE/1-800_Flowers_Inc_v_Phonenames+
Ltd.htm

Or you can find it via the link on the June 2001 section of the What's New?
pages on our website www.pagehargrave.co,uk

Keith Gymer
PAGE HARGRAVE
Manfield House