[ga-sys]

Re: [ga-sys] Territorial approach to privacy issues

Hello Bill,

William S. Lovell wrote on 13.06.01, 17:34:31:
> U. S. Presidential elections aside, the law is the law.
:)
> Moreover,
> protection of privacy has long been a cultural tradition in Europe,
> much more so than in the U.S., and for quite a historically long time.
> Joanna's assumption is perfectly valid. (Let's hear from one of our
> other EU people on this, such as Jefsey, huh?)

I agree with Joanna's description: There are obviously
also differences in the degree of privacy protection
between European countries, but the difference between
the European and the U.S. privacy protection seems to
be much stronger. For example in Germany, the right
to 'informational self-determination' is constitutionally
protected, and even though the privacy protection is
already stronger than in the U.S., still 47% of the Germans
believe that more should be done to protect their privacy
(representative survey by BAT Freizeit-Forschungsinstitut
1998).

Best regards,
/// Alexander

--