[ga-sys]

Re: Re[2]: [ga-sys] The EU Privacy issue

Hello William,

on 5/24/01 11:05 PM, William X. Walsh at william@userfriendly.com wrote:
> MS's conditions are vastly different. The DNSO does not have to
> negotiate with the EU.  The DNSO does not exist legally, and does not
> enter into any contracts as far as that goes.

What are Paul Kane and the WHOIS Committee doing then? (The Staff WHOIS
Committeee quietly conceded to DNSO on this issue remember). Making policy
recommendations perhaps?

> Register.com has bigger worries, Joanna.  They are fighting for their
> very life right now.

At least they have a life. Some of us are still waiting for Constituency
representation.

BTW, the New York Consumer Protection Board has just introduced an opt-out
for phones, available to families who register their residential phones
on-line through http://www.nynocall.com in a "DO NOT CALL" Registry.
(Telemarketers are subject to a $2,000.00 fine.)

This is a clear indication of the way things are going not only in the EU,
but also the US. Your arguments completely ignore a shift in public opinion
that demands stronger privacy rules and that is the main reason why I cannot
agree with you on this issue.

Regards,
Joanna

--