[ga-sys]

Re: [ga-sys] Registrants Charter - FREEDOMS - Part 1

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 09:09:05PM -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
> 1) Why should I have to appoint myself as agent regarding service of
> process?

You don't.

> 2) Why do telephone services offer unlisted numbers, but Registries-
> Registrars do not offer unlisted DNs?

Because there hasn't been a demand for it.

> 3) Why should I have to relinquish personal privacy and personal rights and
> protections to obtain a domain name?

You don't.

> 4) Why do I have to be the subject of a growing number of third party sales
> leads?

You don't.

> 5) Why do I have to agree to third party profiteering from selling my
> personal data?

You don't.

> 6) Why does the DNSO not have an existing policy to protect affected
> Registrants privacy?

There is a policy expressed in the registrar accreditation agreement.

> 7) Why do the proposed new Agreements continue to impose public record of
> the physical contact address of an individual Registrant while introducing
> restrictions for less intrusive contact data (fax and email)?

They don't.

> 8) Why does the Registry require any more than a technical contact for a DN?

Because someone needs to be legally responsible for the DN.

> 9) Why has ICANN engaged in Social policy making on this issue without
> consulting DNSO?

It hasn't.

> 10) Why is information being collected, not for the purposes of billing, but
> to make available to the public through the WHOIS database?

The out exists, though it is not widely used.

> 11) Why should every individual coming on-line disclose his/ her personal
> details in a manner that allows millions of people to gain immediate access
> to potentially sensitive data?

They don't have to.

> 12) Why should individuals and families with children have to suffer the
> inconvenience and not inconsequential cost of renting a PO Box number (if
> available) to protect their home address? (at US$45.00 locally, this equates
> to roughly 400% per annum of the average cost paid by business in equivalent
> DN Registration fees).

Public information is valuable, and the yang to that yin is that privacy
costs money.  That is, if a registrar can offset costs by selling
information, withholding that information costs the registrar money,
which they wish to pass on to the customers who want the added service.

> 13) What attempts have been made by ICANN to consult affected stakeholders
> on these issues before presenting new agreements, if any?

ICANN already implemented a completely adequate market-driven mechanism
to address these issues.  It is not widely used, which indicates that
the demand is not really there.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
This message was passed to you via the ga-sys@dnso.org list.