[ga-rules]

[ga-rules] Demonstrating Consensus

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:52:23 -0400, Jon Weinberg wrote:
Subject: Re: [ga] Consensus

> It may be that in the current environment of the GA,
> folks don't trust anyone, including the chair, to perform that function --
> so they're demanding formal votes for everything.  But that has a
> cost.  Holding elaborate votes, on questions that aren't much in dispute,
> consumes a lot of resources.

Hi Jon

The trouble is that some very noisy voices claim that ANY move forward is
"illegitimate" if if has not been approved by a vote.  In other words they
demand formal processes.  The mailing lists are but one such example.

Personally I don't agree but feel it is essential to demonstrate, through a
formal vote, that the issue in question has so-called *legitimacy*.

Naturally, the critics have then achieved at least part of their objective.
As this continuing debate on procedural issues amply demonstrates.

Regards
Patrick Corliss

--
This message was passed to you via the ga-rules@dnso.org list.