[ga-roots]

Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] Re[4]: [ga-icann] interesting California law to consider

It is my understanding, at least at The PacificRoot, that when you
contact them for inclusion in the root, you must agree to conditions
for technical stability, etc.  I don't think the requirements are
posted on their website, but I do know that you can't just email the
request and have them loaded.  At the very least the nameservers
must answer auth.  To be homed in the root, you have to sign an
agreement for stability and service.  You can't just hit and run.

Beyond this, I have no further information and since I do not
operate a root, I cannot speak from a position of authority.

Leah

On 17 Jun 2001, at 10:10, William X. Walsh wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> Sunday, June 17, 2001, 8:19:53 AM, Stefan Probst wrote:
> >>You are so antiICANN without any possibility of being otherwise, that
> >>you assume that anyone who doesn't blindly agree with the alt.root
> >>position that let's any person who wants to create a TLD is 100%
> >>behind everything ICANN says/does.
>
> > William, your intimate knowledge of the alt.roots astonishes me more and more.
> > Some weeks ago, I had a look at most of their websites, and found, that the
> > majority of them have some more or less stringent requirements concerning
> > which TLD they would include in their root.
> > You know obviously more than their websites say.
>
> References please?
>
> There are no minimum standards or technical requirements at any of the
> alt.roots that I am aware of.  If you know otherwise, please don't
> just say it, point to the references.
>
> That means that unless someone else, who also didn't meet any minimum
> standards, emailed them that they wanted that string first, you can
> have it, even if you don't know the difference between an MX record
> and a CNAME record, much less how to setup a controlled managed dns
> system for the domain.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>
> Userfriendly.com Domains
> The most advanced domain lookup tool on the net
> DNS Services from $1.65/mo
>
> --
> This message was passed to you via the ga-roots@dnso.org list.

~ Leah G ~