[ga-roots]

Re[3]: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Hello Stefan,

Saturday, June 16, 2001, 6:11:34 PM, Stefan Probst wrote:

> At 09:57 16.06.01 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:
> -------------------------
>>Hello Stefan,
>>
>>Saturday, June 16, 2001, 3:31:58 AM, Stefan Probst wrote:
>>

>> > Did anybody notice just which TLD they want to have?
>> > Don't tell me, that they chose .web just by chance....
>>
>>Actually Afilias selected .web the first time as well, as their first
>>choice.  .info was the second choice.

> But Afilias didn't threat to start another root, if they don't get the
> requested TLD.
> ICANN was hesitating to give out that particular TLD, but now TUCOWS puts
> the gun at ICANN's head (to use the recently mentioned image).

Wrong.

That is not what Tucows said.  Tucows said that if ICANN is going to
develop a policy to grant deference to alt.root tld operators, then it
will do so itself in self protection.

And let's not be coy here.  If Tucows went the alt.root path (which
they clearly do not want to do, but would feel compelled to do if
ICANN develops some inane policy that it will grant deferences to
these self styled TLD operators who do not know anything except how to
ask someone else to enter some DNS configs for them) it would be a
major thing, more so than any other registrar really.

Tucows/OpenSRS has the largest partner/reseller channel of any
registrar.  It's entire business model is based around it.  Imagine
the impact of several THOUSAND ISPs and domain registration sites
pushing an alt.root TLD.  And that is what Tucows could do if it
choose.

If ICANN grants deferences to alt.root TLDs, then registrars will be
forced to get into the alt.root game purely for self defense.

The bottom line is that Tucows did not threaten to get alt.root if
it didn't get .web.  That is a complete misstatement of what happened.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>