[ga-roots]

Re: Re[2]: [ga-roots] How the sky might fall

> I have to disagree with this. ICANN was set up to be a *technical
> coordination* body, not the decider of business models and financial
> capabilities. What is necessary in order to excute on that mandate is
> effective escrow. Effective escrow of data would limit the exposure to an
> interruption of service that a business failure might cause, while keeping
> ICANN out of peoples bank accounts and business plans areas which they
> have no business being in.

Good points Patrick,
    But the *technical coordination* body can loose its technical aspect if
it has to decide about who has the chance to be a registry. As soon as a
decision has to be made about who can be a registry there there is something
more than tech matters.
Consider for eg the fact that 100 applicants or more are in the next gTLD
slection round. Each of 'em asks for say 2 TLDs. If all of them have the
"effective escrow" you speak about, there would be at LEAST 200 new gTLDs.
Confusion at least for the consumers, maybe a company could get .pid and
another one .pids. (Can you choose wich one has the right to be a registry?
Both of 'em?) And what about multiple gTLDs requested by different
companies? First come first served?.

I have to disagree because I can't think of ICANN as a simple tech body,
UDRP is an example. Even if the effective escrow of data is a good point.

Thanks Patrick.

S b)