[ga-roots]

Re: [ga-roots] How the sky might fall

Monday, June 04, 2001, 8:14:33 AM, List Admin wrote:

> From: Bruce James <bmj@keyname.net>
> Subject: How the sky might fall
> To: Roots <ga-roots@dnso.org>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 21:30:46 -0500

> How the sky might fall

> As we mentioned earlier, moving to "liberated" DNS servers wouldn't be the
> end of the world. It could happen, silently and overnight, without anyone
> noticing. And it could happen like this.

> Suppose the .uk names were ultimately registered in a single text file - as
> they all are right now - not in Herndon Virginia, home of the NSI (actually,
> it's owned by NSI's parent company Verisign) but on a server in the Anyplace
> Islands. British users, or anyone else wanting to click to a .uk domain
> would need to access Anyplace or one of its downstream name servers. How
> would they do that? Through their ISP.

> As Peter Dengate Thrush points out, it only takes a major country code
> administrator from say, the Germany, the UK or France to take its names to a
> liberated domain, and all the ISPs in that nation would be obliged to point
> to the new root server. There'd be no need to fiddle with your Network
> Control Panel - it would happen without you even noticing.

This is, of course, absolutely untrue and absurd.

The .uk domains are not in fact served from NSI/Verisign controlled
nameservers.

NS1.NIC.UK, which is controlled by Nominet, the .UK Registry, is the
nameserver where those names are hosted.

The situation described above is not technically sound.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh